Earlier on Tuesday, the civil rights coalition Stop Hate for Profit demanded YouTube take down Trump’s verified YouTube channel, “which is giving Trump the opportunity to continue spreading false information that the U.S. election was stolen” or face a boycott.
“If YouTube does not agree with us and join the other platforms in banning Trump, we’re going to go to the advertisers next,” Steyer told USA TODAY.
The Stop Hate for Profit campaign, which aims to rid social media platforms of hate speech, white supremacy, misinformation and disinformation, led a boycott of Facebook over the summer following the death of George Floyd under the knee of a white police officer.
Some 1,100 advertisers stopped buying ads on Facebook and Instagram during the month of July, with a few advertisers pulling their spending through the end of the year.
YouTube says it issued a “strike” against Trump’s channel. With the first strike, Trump’s YouTube channel is temporarily prevented from uploading new videos or live streams for at least seven days.
If, in a 90-day period, the channel receives a second strike, it will receive a two-week suspension. A third strike results in the channel being permanently removed.
YouTube says it makes no exceptions for public figures and has previously removed videos from Trump’s channel for violating its policies.